Anyway, Esther: after Chronicles, Esther was incredibly refreshing-- provocative and fast paced. But I'm quite far past that now, so I'll write about Job instead. Job is tough, but interesting. I found it confusing at first-- are we supposed to be sympathetic towards Job's claims that he is without fault? Or sympathetic towards his friends who are 'holding him accountable'? They claim that all men are flawed and that Job's claims of being undeserving of this burden are unfounded. But as the passage continues, it becomes more apparent that the men are baiting Job, and wanting to hurt him rather than build him up. Though sometimes I still feel that they say good things! I suppose interpreting these passages is worthwhile, in part, at least, because it poses these questions. And I suppose I should be reading it all more slowly!
Acts is moving along nicely. I've read and heard Acts preached on quite a few times, so I'm really glad I'm reading the OT as well. I think that one of the difficulties of being in the modern church is that, unlike school, there are no levels of study. As someone who has been to church their whole lives, I'm in the same 'class' (listening to the same sermon) as people who are coming for the first time. And you'd hate for them to miss out on Acts. But on the other hand, a lot of us are never hearing about Chronicles! And we're hearing the same message about Job. This isn't a criticism of the preacher. Or even of the church. I suppose it's just a great pity that the whole world doesn't go to church and then we could differentiate.
Hmm... this is turning into a conversation about education! Time to sign off.
No comments:
Post a Comment